Sunday, May 29, 2011

Heritage

My Grandparents have lived on their land for longer than I've been alive, longer than my mom has been apart of the family, longer than Old Chief Mountain has been a peak to conquer.
They are in the process of selling it. It's not SOLD, just on the market.
Which makes the breath in my throat catch every time.
I love that place.
Something is always broken.
The water smells funny.
There is mice in the basement.
The barn is so old it should be condemned.
It's ours as far as your eye can see.
The River runs true.
The forest/brush on it have seen many a childhood "battle" take place.
In any direction you walk you can find history just waiting for you to look for it.
None of the Sons or Grandsons have shown an interest in taking over the "Double Anchor" cattle/farming/trucking business.
Well, One has, but they are at loggerheads and my Granp is a proud man.
So is the Grandson.
They are so much alike when I hear my cousin talk I can close my eyes and drift into a "this is grandpa talking" haze.
In any case.
My Granps birthday was the say before Mother's Day, so a bunch of us rolled on out there to
celebrate him getting wiser *cough cough*
and my grams getting more regal :)
I took the opportunity to walk some of the close pastures and capture a tiny smidgon of the history, love, hard work and dedication that has endured.
Really made me wish I had a nice camera ... BOOOOO!











No comments: